Wise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission — money without borders — instant, convenient, transparent, and eventually free. We’ve built a market-leading technology product that’s been used by over 5 million people to move money around the world without the rip-off fees charged by the banks. We’re disrupting the world of currency and international money transfer. We are growing rapidly around the world and need to make sure that we have the best setup to support that growth in every region. You will help to shape the future of Wise in Latin America.
As part of this role, you will work with the Latam team to support them in understanding risks they are facing with the product in the region and how to mitigate those risks, while they seek new opportunities to grow the business. The role will also be part of a wider group of risk experts dotted around the world, meaning there is great opportunity to support the growth of risk management across the company.
This position requires close partnership with our financial crime compliance and regulatory teams, as well as operational and product teams, with opportunities to shape the direction of Latam Compliance Oversight at Wise.
- Deploy the company compliance management approach in Mexico. You will ensure we have mapped all our processes and completed the internal risk assessments, and work closely with the Latam Product and Operational teams to promote creative solutions on how we can effectively mitigate the identified risks in the entity.
- You will be responsible for the design and roll out of all the risk management policies for Mexico considering financial and non-financial risks. This means you will be responsible for drafting new policies, reviewing and updating existing policies, and ensuring these policies are maintained on an ongoing basis according to local regulation and company level standards.
- You will implement monitoring procedures to guarantee adherence to group risk policies and share findings with relevant members in Mexico and in the Group Risk Team.
- You will provide recommendations and track actions for improving adherence with these policies. This will require close collaboration across various teams both in Latam as well as in the rest of Wise. You will report material findings to senior management within Wise.
- You will help embed a good risk culture in the business in Mexico, promoting risk awareness, in line with the three lines of defence model. Where necessary, you will coordinate and/or conduct training for relevant Wisers.
- You will take part in the relationship with the regulators and senior management to communicate our risk position and risk management approach.
- You will act as a liaison between other internal control teams and external parties for the purpose of audits and monitoring engagements.
- Develop a relationship with Latam product teams to cultivate a culture of compliance so that they are able to proactively think about compliance risks and opportunities;
- Use data to articulate emerging trends across our products and proactively work to mitigate this with product teams in the region;
- Deep understanding of the regulatory environment in Mexico. Be able to take and defend decisions on our approach.
- Ability to defend our compliance program to bank partners and interpret their concerns to enhance controls with priority as needed;
A bit about you:
We are looking for someone passionate about payments, fintech and compliance risk management and with an eye on the future. You should have:
- Minimum 5 years in compliance;
- Have a valid Compliance Officer certificate issued by the CNBV;
- Experience working in Mexico for a regulated financial institution (experience in other Latam countries is desirable);
- Clear communication, project coordination, and management skills;
- Fluent English;
- Wisdom, a world view and talent for thinking outside the box;
- Professionalism and high integrity;
- Willingness to challenge teams and themselves on how to best serve our customers, while keeping processes robust and compliant;
- +30% of your year requires international travel;:
- Experience working with financial licences in Mexico highly desirable;
- A sense of camaraderie and good humour while under pressure or tight deadlines;
- Experience as a lead and mentor for more junior members of product, compliance, or operational compliance teams;
- CAMS, ICA or equivalent certification would be great.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇