Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 15 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders
easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a Senior Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that’s scalable, reliable and secure. We’re building experiences allowing international businesses to send their money conveniently and reliably.
The Team you will be working with: Spend Fraud
The mission of the Spend Fraud & Disputes Team is to support crime-free card usage, with a minimal impact on customers' spending experience, and provide customers with a convenient way to resolve their disputes.
As a software engineer you will be working with modern technologies to build a strong protection against fraudsters for our customers. Machine learning (coming soon), high-throughput and processing big sets of data are parts of our daily life.
You will be involved in different aspects of integration with VISA, Mastercard and other schemas and work on it to help our customers resolve disputes in the most convenient way.
A lot of your tasks require working closely with product and operational teams. Instant feedback loop and effective communication will help you create a product that is tailored to your audience.
The fraudsters will make sure you'll never be bored!
What does it take?
- A product mindset and passion for user experience. You want to prioritise work with customers in mind and can make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to any audience, even a non-technical one
- Experience with any of OOP languages like Java, Kotlin, C# and others
- Experience working with relational databases, query optimisation and schema design. Ideally, you’ll also have some experience with a few non-relational databases
- Reliance on automated tests and observability tooling to increase confidence building and maintaining services
- Experience with distributed systems – you know a thing or two about microservices, messaging systems like Kafka and how to design software with their possibilities and constraints in mind
- You have tried different software development methodologies and have found that there is no silver bullet – you prefer to think deeply about a problem and then decide on what structure and patterns to use to solve it.
- Ability to work independently while also being a good team player. Your work will frequently involve cross-team collaboration.
- Ability to break down complex projects into incremental milestones that deliver customer value
- Experience with common design and architectural patterns coupled with a passion for writing clean code that is performant and well tested
- Curiosity and drive for continuous learning and improvement
- Following and advocating best coding practices, continuous delivery and code reviews
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What you get back:
- 🚀 RSU's in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🍎 Daily free breakfast, weekly lunch and lots of snacks
- 🐶 Pet friendly offices
- 🏃♀️Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
- 🎉 An annual, all-expenses-paid company trip, Summer Days
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn office.
Salary: €64,000 – €88,000 annual gross + RSUs
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work – a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
- ❤️ Our Engineering values
…or check out our Engineering blog
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
P.S. Our employees can also work remotely from anywhere for 90 days a year 🌎
Explore our Tallinn office
Don’t mind the cold winters, Tallinn is one of Europe’s best-kept secrets. It’s the perfect place to see what happens when old meets new.