Non-Executive Director Philippines Subsidiary Board
Supervisory BoardKuala Lumpur
Wise is LSE listed, has over 5,000 employees across 17 countries and 90+ nationalities. We are one of the world’s fastest growing, profitable technology companies and today 16 million people and businesses use Wise. We process around £9 billion in cross-border transactions every month, saving customers over £1.5 billion a year.
Wise is a global technology company, building the best way to move money around the world. Our mission is money without borders – instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free. Originally TransferWise, we are one of the world’s fastest growing tech companies having raised over $1 billion in primary and secondary transactions from world leading investors.
We are continuing to grow at pace and to redefine the international money space.
Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace.
More on Wise at https://wise.com/
Main Purpose & Duties of the Role
The Non-executive director (NED) will work alongside our other NED and Executive Directors within the board to objectively oversee the management of our entity in the Philippines.
As an NED you will be required to:
- Provide effective and entrepreneurial leadership.
- Objectively scrutinise operational, financial and risk management performance.
- Ensure that the company’s obligations towards stakeholders are met.
- Constructively challenge proposals.
- Provide strategic direction.
- Be able to advise the company through periods of change and demonstrate a thorough understanding and appreciation of the issues facing a complex and developing organisation in a changing environment.
Your responsibilities as part of the Board shall include but not limited to the following:
- Attend scheduled quarterly board meetings, any emergency meetings and meetings of any committee to which you are appointed. You may also be required to meet with regulators from time to time.
- Ensure that the licensee has the capacity and ability to operate the expanded business in full compliance with regulatory requirements as well as operations of the business are conducted prudently, and within the framework of relevant laws and policies
- Determine, review and approve strategies, business plans and significant policies, including its risk appetite and monitor management’s performance in implementing them
- Ensure that comprehensive risk management policies, processes and infrastructure, and effective operationalisation of the risk controls to manage the various types of risks, are in place and effective
- Attend trainings or obtain necessary certification/ qualification as required by the regulatory authorities, including Governance and AML/CTF training as mandated by BSP.
Experience, Background and specific Competencies
You must have the following:
- Experience of operating at a senior level, as a NED or executive director, in a financial services organisation.
- Knowledge of governance and the role of boards.
- Solid understanding of the regulatory environment in the Philippines and working with local regulators.
- Extensive experience in governance, accounting, audit or risk.
- Strong business acumen.
- Able to analyse and interpret complex data.
- Ability to apply judgement and resilience, to lead and participate in making difficult evidence-based decisions.
- Strong communication skills.
- Independence of thought and interpersonal skills. Conversant in account, financial management and/or regulations. You must be able to form your own views and decisions, whilst working closely and constructively with other members of the Board.
- Undisputed integrity and standing – the ability to maintain discretion and engender trust in employees of Wise (known as Wisers), peers and stakeholders
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
If you want to find out more about what it's like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Keep up to date with life at Wise by following us on LinkedIn and Instagram.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
P.S. Our employees can also work remotely from anywhere for 90 days a year 🌎
Explore our Kuala Lumpur office
Gleaming skyscrapers and a host of natural attractions are just the beginning.