Wise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got over 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Senior Engineering Manager to join our mission.
The squad you’ll be working with: Onboarding
Our Onboarding squad looks after accepting new customers (both consumer and business) in Wise. They look after the onboarding user experience, making sure customers know how to use all of the products that Wise offers, ensuring onboarding for every country and customer type is compliant to the local regulations, and making sure their accounts are accessed in a secure and compliant way.
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to join the Onboarding Squad, leading other engineering leads directly to help us solve 5 fundamental problems:
- Comprehension – Helping customers to understand all of Wise’s product offerings beyond the money transfer service
- Fragmentation – Consolidating onboarding flows into a single flow that sets up all of the Wise products that the customer wants to use at once
- Verification – Ensuring verification does not take customers by surprise by communicating requirements upfront and allowing customers to correct errors without manual intervention by Wise support teams
- Funding – Making funding the Wise account as simple as possible for users
- Understanding – Helping customers to know how to use all the features of their Wise account
Your role in the team:
- Leading multiple teams and projects that have good Onboarding squad level impact by affecting other teams and not just the team that you are leading, by either coaching other leads, collaborating with the teams on bigger projects or helping them achieve their goals
- Helping shape the longer term vision and strategy for the product in collaboration with the team leads and the cross functional teams
- Bring product engineering skills and experience, digging into technical or architectural issues and leading a mature scalable product, contributing materially to the company goals. Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping teams make data-driven decisions
- Responsible for org design of the teams you are leading; responsible for ensuring teams are staffed appropriately from the get go. Regularly evaluating the skill gaps within the team, making a case for it and doing the requisite recruitment. Working with team leads and the recruitment team to build a longer term hiring plan and contributing to overall hiring process success
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers and the leads within your team
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Review the team's code, provide feedback on the code commits, code quality and guide the teams
Is that you?
- Experience managing engineering managers, leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for making international finance easier and more transparent
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
Nice to have:
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework (or similar), and asynchronous event driven microservices based architectures using e.g. Apache Kafka
- Experience with modern web technologies (TypeScript, React, Next.js, or others)
- Domain Experience: Onboarding Flows, Customer Verification, Working in Regulated Industries
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll build a good understanding of the domain and an overall understanding of the Wise business
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
Interested? Find out more:
📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2022 edition
📈 Our Engineering career map
🚀 Engineering career journeys at Wise
…or check out our Engineering blog
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
If you want to find out more about what it's like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Keep up to date with life at Wise by following us on LinkedIn and Instagram.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
P.S. Our employees can also work remotely from anywhere for 90 days a year 🌎
Explore our London office
You can find Wise London in the heart of Shoreditch. Afraid of the bad weather? Don’t worry, we’ve got a sauna.