TransferWise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission — money without borders — instant, convenient, transparent, and eventually free. We’ve built a market-leading technology product that’s been used by over 5 million people to move money around the world without the rip-off fees charged by the banks. We’re disrupting the world of currency and international money transfer. We are growing rapidly around the world and need to make sure that we have the best setup to support that growth in every region. You will help to shape the future of TransferWise across the Group.
The Financial Risk Specialist- NorthAm will report directly to the Country Risk Officer, providing support and second line risk management advice and oversight to the Northam entities and support similar activities in the Americas region.
What will you be doing:
- Provide an objective view of the effectiveness of financial and prudential risk management and internal controls practices in the region following global standards such as Basel requirements, FCA and US regulators.
- Assist with the implementation of the entity’s Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF) and Risk Appetite Statement (RAS)
- Process mapping and Risk and Controls Assessments (RCA).
- Review policies and procedures related to Financial Risks: Liquidity, Market, Credit, Financial Planning, Capital and Prudential
- Set up short and long term stress testing
- Monitor prudential indexes
- Build Financial Risk Quarterly Reports
- Partner with 1LOD to develop robust risk mitigations and control frameworks in country and across the region
- Undertaking 2LOD controls monitoring and testing
- Assist with local Board Risk Committee reporting
This role would be great for someone who has:
- Alignment to Wise’s mission and values
- > 5 years working experience in Financial risk management in the US and Canada financial markets
- Experience with Risk Management Frameworks aligned to Basel III standards, such as LCR, ICAAP, ILAAP, ICARA
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Ability to aggregate and analyzing data from multiple sources to provide a comprehensive assessment
- Ability to create reports, summaries, presentations and process documents to display results
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects at the same time to complete work
- Excellent research, analysis and reporting skills coupled with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to independently solve problems with data
- Ability to collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
It would be ideal but not essential if you have:
- Business related bachelor’s degree
- Risk management certification (i.e. RMIA Certified Risk Management Practitioner, FRM Financial Risk Management, etc)
- Good understanding of applications like Jira, Superset, Looker
- 🚀 RSU’s in a rapidly growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🩺 Medical, dental, & vision insurance – including HSA and FSA options
- 💝 Company-paid: Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability, and an EAP program
- 💻 Hybrid working model – a mix of working from home and from the office
- ✈️ Wisers can work remotely for 90 days a year. By ‘remote’ we don’t just mean from home, but from wherever in the world you choose to
- ☀️ 25 days PTO, 15 sick days, 11 holidays, 5 compassionate leave days, 3 paid “Me” days and a paid volunteer day, annually
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- 👶🏼 18-weeks of paid parental leave, after a year with us
- 💰 401k with up to a 4% employer match
- 🏆 2023 Austin BuiltIn Best Award winner for Best Places to Work and Best Large Places to Work
- Find out more about our benefits in our Austin office
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Keep up to date with life at Wise by following us on LinkedIn and Instagram.
Ready to apply?
Complete the eligibility checklist now and get started with your online application.
Sign up for job alerts
If you don’t see a role for you right now, sign up to our email job alerts, and you’ll be the first to know when a role becomes available.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.
P.S. Our employees can also work remotely from anywhere for 90 days a year 🌎
Explore our Austin office
Home to beautiful outdoor spaces, this eclectic metropolis is vibrant and bursting with endless opportunities.