Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
About the role
We are looking for a Software Engineer with a service mesh focus to join our core service connectivity team.
Our team develops and operates Wise’s Envoy-based service mesh on top of Kubernetes (instrumented by our custom Java-based control plane), as well as our core ingress and egress pipelines (built on Cloudflare and various proxy software). Other teams build on these so hundreds of distributed microservices can communicate reliably and securely with each other, and also handle incoming requests from users or reach third-party services.
How we work
We operate on a strong belief in automation, programmatic implementation, and reusable design. We’re looking for people who can step back and think holistically about the ecosystem, but also follow through and help implement the design; drawing on the resources across the rest of the platform tribe.
As we grow, the demand for creating and connecting new environments grows as well, and use-cases get more complex. We need to sustain this growth by continuously iterating on the services we run, with a focus on availability, security, and ease of use. We’re looking for an engineer with relevant experience who can analyse complex requirements and deliver simple solutions to help our teams achieve our mission with speed and confidence.
You will, together with us
- Extend our service mesh to various workloads across diverse environments
- Develop our Java-based mesh control plane further
- Rebuild our ingress and egress pipelines using reliable L4 and L7 proxies
- Contribute upstream to the Envoy project
- Participate in a team on-call rotation
- Proficiency in Java coding, testing and production aspects
- Reading familiarity with Golang and/or C++ (writing won’t hurt either!)
- Kubernetes microservices and networking experience
- Networking protocols from L3 to L7 & application-level concerns.
- Troubleshooting system & networking troubles on the Linux command line
Nice to have
- Operating reliable software-based L4 and L7 proxies (e.g. Envoy, Nginx)
- eBPF-based packet filtering and tooling experience
- Familiarity with transport layer security and certificate management
We expect that you…
- … work efficiently in a team to bring projects to completion
- … are a strong communicator, written and verbal
- … feel drive to automate manual operations
- … think about risks, security and reliability
- … are open to both mentoring others as well as learning from them
- … look for opportunity to add impact and challenge the norm
What you get back:
- 🚀 RSU’s in a growing company
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- ❤️ Statutory maternity leave, with a perk of 18 fully paid weeks of parental leave for birth or adoption
- ❤️Paternity leave for 18 weeks at full pay
- 🌿3 fully paid ‘me days’ per year to help you manage life
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
Salary: £60,000-£80,000 + RSU
Find out more about our benefits in our London office
Interested? Find out more:
And for a sneak peek into the Wise world of (Platform) Engineering check out our Tech Blog: Platform Engineering Blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.