Senior Platform Engineer – CI
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we’re looking for a Senior Platform Engineer to join us in our Platform CI team, in Budapest
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still a lot to figure out, and we can’t do it alone. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Our Platform CI team is responsible for building the CI platform to Wise engineers, enabling them to become more efficient with their day to day build operations. We want to deliver sustainable solutions for product teams, with a healthy dose of paranoia knowing how complex, distributed systems can fail. Our team has developed from a general platform team into a focused CI team, creating value adding service offerings to Wise engineering.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- You’ll be working hands-on in the team and we expect you to build and own the vision for CI platform and its paved path in Wise. We have invested in AWS and Kubernetes, making the most of these abstractions. You’ll also work with our product engineering teams to understand their needs and requirements and onboard them to new solutions.
Ideally you have experience with:
- CI/CD at scale
- Experience with software engineering languages such as Java, Python, Go, Groovy etc
- Building out scalable and automated Cloud platforms on preferably AWS
- Experience in infrastructure automation tools (Terraform/Ansible/Puppet/Chef)
- Containerisation technology and various orchestration platforms e.g. Docker, Kubernetes
- Understanding SRE principles
- Linux troubleshooting skills in debugging issues with disk, network, app/JVM performance etc
Nice to have:
- Experience with Github Actions
- Knowledge and an eye on newer architectural concepts such as microservices, service mesh, lambda programming
- Experience with performance analysis and capacity forecasting
- Network knowledge of DNS, network topology, etc.
- Knowledge of relational (RDBMS) and NoSQL databases
Key areas of the role:
- Define and create a paved path for Wise Continuous Integration platform that are compliant and auditable
- Designing, Building and Owning mission-critical shared platform services for rest of Wise engineering
- Work with various engineering teams and their requirements to figure out how to best suit their needs
- Build infrastructure with availability best practices in mind. Use chaos engineering practices, run simulated outages and data recovery drills regularly
- Engage regularly with our blameless postmortem culture, always focused on continuous improvement
- Work closely with our product teams to gather requirements, identify bottlenecks and improve our CI platform
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
Interested? Find out more:
And for a sneak peek into the Wise world of (Platform) Engineering check out our Tech Blog: Platform Engineering Blog.
What do we offer:
- Salary: 1,500,000 – 2,200,000 HUF + RSUs
- Company Restricted Stock Units
- Find out more about our benefits in our Budapest office
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Paid annual holiday, sick days, parental leave and other leave opportunities
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.