Expansion Lead – Asset Products
Wise was launched in 2011 with the vision of making international money transfers fast, cheap, fair, and simple. Today we’re about much more than just moving money. We’re building the world’s best international account experience.
In 2021, Wise launched Assets, a new type of account. Assets allows customers to back the money they hold with Wise through different asset classes such as stocks or bonds while retaining the instant access and spend functionality of a checking account.
We’re looking for an Expansion Lead to join our London office. You’ll be responsible for expanding the Assets product globally, building strong commercial and regulatory relationships to enable the best product experience for our customers.
You’ll work closely with the Assets Product team, an autonomous team within Wise consisting of Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Product Compliance and Operations. You’ll provide the team with local financial markets expertise, shaping the product vision and helping change the future of finance. This isn’t just a job, it’s a revolution!
1 – Expand the Assets product globally
- Lead the Assets Banking team (a small team of 2-3 people) and empower them to drive the expansion of the Assets product globally, while consistently achieving a high level of personal performance and cross-team collaboration.
- Ensure the Assets Banking team manages the end-to-end process of expanding the product to new markets across by collaborating with the wider regional banking and expansion team
- Analyse the optimal route to market for the Assets product in new markets, taking into account how customer needs differ by market, product functionality and regulatory requirements.
- Build a good relationship with regulatory authorities to ensure a smooth licensing process and success once the licence is granted
- Ensure that the operating model agreed with regulators is efficient and aligns with our product and customers needs.
- Source and / or hire any personnel that may be required to obtain the licence such as a local compliance officer or financial controller
- Liaise closely with teams across Wise such as Product, Engineering, Operations, Finance and Compliance to ensure that we have the necessary resources and processes in place to successfully sustain operations
2 – Build strong commercial relationships
- Identify new commercial relationships with investment managers, banks and payments partners to optimise the product experience for customers in terms of price, coverage and available asset classes
- Onboard new partners and negotiate contracts, taking into account commercial priorities as well as risks
- Manage our existing commercial relationships to ensure that they are delivering the best outcomes for our customers in terms of price and coverage
3 – Identify new strategic opportunities
- Shape the product vision and roadmap alongside the Product Manager, thinking about our customer needs, blockers and opportunities
- Work closely with the Product Manager and the wider team to prioritise opportunities taking into consideration the product roadmap, resource and product build requirements
- Identify and size new product ideas to test, build, and launch.
You may be a good fit if:
- Led the end-to-end process for expanding financial services products to new markets, including scoping route to market and applying for new licences from local regulators
- You are familiar with the financial services industry and understand different financial products and how they work, as well as their risks and target markets.
- You have negotiated commercial relationships with a clear product vision and understanding in mind. You are able to figure out the ideal operational and commercial process with new partners
- You are familiar with how fund managers and financial institutions work. You are strong at managing those relationships and are constantly creating opportunities to improve them
- You have fresh ideas – You don’t accept the status quo, but are interested in solving problems in novel ways. You are able to communicate the impact of those ideas, gather stakeholder buy-in, and formulate plans to implement them
- You are passionate about our mission and transforming the financial industry for good
- You have flexibility for some international travel (around 10-20% of time)
- 7-10 years work experience within financial services, financial technology, startup or technology companies
- Detailed knowledge of financial systems including banking and investments infrastructure, payment rails, regulatory agencies and regulations
- Ability to structure and independently lead commercial relationships (e.g., clients, service providers or other partners) and cross-functional projects, including demonstrated ability to align closely with Product, Engineering, Operations, and Compliance teams with a solid track record of execution
- Excellent verbal and written communications including executive-level presentation, negotiation, and communication skills
- Proficiency in financial and business analysis.
- Starting salary:£110-120k
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Paid annual holiday, sick days, parental leave and other leave opportunities
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave
If you’re interested in the position, please apply by submitting your CV.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.