Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
We need a Senior Software Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that’s scalable, reliable and secure. You’ll dive right into projects on data governance core systems and internal tooling.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with a data security and privacy mindset to join our Data Governance team.
It is imperative that we protect our customers’ money and data. In addition, there are many interesting challenges when it comes to meeting regulatory requirements world-wide. As a Senior Software Engineer in the wider Platform tribe and Engineering organisation, you will have an opportunity to directly affect data governance engineering strategy, building production systems ensuring we have strong and effective data governance controls in place, to detect and mitigate risks across our systems.
Data Governance team develops and operates Wise’s data governance systems and tooling integrations with the numerous data technologies and services powering the Wise mission.
How we work
We operate on a strong belief in automation, programmatic implementation, and reusable design. We’re looking for people who can step back and think holistically about the ecosystem, but also follow through and help implement the design; drawing on the resources across the rest of the platform tribe.
As we grow, our services architecture and data ecosystems get more complex. We need to sustain this growth by ensuring automated controls, with a focus on availability, security, and ease of use. We’re looking for an engineer with relevant experience who can analyse complex requirements and deliver simple solutions to help our teams achieve our mission with speed and confidence.
What will you be working on?
- Work closely with our Platform, Security and Privacy teams to ensure Wise’s data processing systems conform to security best practices and our policies
- Architect, design and implement reliable data governance services and tooling
- Help protect customer data and meet regulatory requirements worldwide
- Contribute to our mission of building secure data systems and flows powering the rails for global finance that customers can trust
What do you need?
- Solid experience as a full-stack or backend engineer during which you developed skills in technologies like Spring boot, Docker, AWS, REST APIs (frontend skills is a big plus)
- Experience running large stateful data systems and production services in the cloud (AWS preferred)
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (Java, Scala, Python) (JVM based language preferred)
- A good understanding of relational databases, big data, and stream processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, S3, Flink, Snowflake)
- Experience with enterprise data catalogue/governance systems or eagerness to master them is preferable
- Mastery of fundamental software engineering practices like good design documentation, unit testing, peer code reviews, and a preference for agile methods
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and organisational skills to communicate effectively new processes and workflows, and interact with teams from different areas of the organisation
- Ability to assess risk and impact to the business and individuals from a privacy and data protection perspective
You get back
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- Find out more about our benefits in our London office.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- The Wise Tech Stack, 2022 Edition.
- Our Engineering career map
- Platform Engineering KPIs
- Scaling our Infrastructure; how we make it work
- Wise Engineering – https://medium.com/wise-engineering
What do we offer:
- Starting salary: £80,000-£115,000 + RSU
- Company Restricted Stock Units
- Numerous great benefits in our London office
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Paid annual holiday, sick days, parental leave and other leave opportunities
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave
If you’re interested in the position, please apply by submitting your CV.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.