Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global product that’s scalable, reliable and secure.
The team you’ll be working with: Account Access & Recovery
Our Account Access & Recovery team owns and optimises the user registration journey as well as improving aspects of the login and logged-in experience. In addition, the team manages security features for our customers, making sure we protect them as they navigate Wise. In short, we work on features to make Wise more secure and easier to access. You’ll be joining an amazing team solving some of Wise’s most challenging and unique problems, whilst influencing the most important KPIs. Surrounded by iOS and Android developers, front-end engineers, and back-end engineers, you’ll be able to leverage a wealth of knowledge across experienced individuals while having fun!
What does it take?:
- A product mindset and passion for user experience. You want to prioritise work with customers in mind and can make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to any audience, even a non-technical one
- Java (8+) or Kotlin experience and, ideally, experience with Spring framework
- Experience working with relational databases, query optimisation and schema design. Ideally, you’ll also have some experience with a few non-relational databases
- Reliance on automated tests and observability tooling to increase confidence building and maintaining services
- Experience with distributed systems – you know a thing or two about microservices, messaging systems like Kafka and how to design software with their possibilities and constraints in mind
- You have tried different software development methodologies and have found that there is no silver bullet – you prefer to think deeply about a problem and then decide on what structure and patterns to use to solve it.
- You’re kind and empathetic, relying on and supporting the rest of the team for discussions and code or design reviews.
What does success look like?
- You understand and can explain the problems people and businesses have when moving and managing money internationally
- You can explain the impact your work has on our customers and our mission
- You know where and how you can contribute to the Wise mission, in the context of your team and tribe
- You raise the automation level across our product, helping us drop prices even further
- You build leverage for other engineers and Wisers by improving tooling, documentation and processes as part of your daily work
- You contribute to creating a world class product by finding and building solutions to technical and product challenges
Find out more about our benefits in our Budapest office.
Interested? Find out more:
📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2022 edition
📈 Our Engineering career map
🚀 Engineering career journeys at Wise
…or check out our Engineering blog
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.