Principal Banker – North America
We’re looking for an experienced Principal Banker to join the North America Banking & Expansion team in Austin, TX or New York, NY. Wise sends more money into and out of the US than any other country. Our bank and payment partner relationships and infrastructure determine the quality of our product and a large part of its economics. Our relationships with regulators, governments and domestic payment systems are also crucial. So, we’re on the hunt for an experienced executor with a strong knowledge of payment systems and the regulatory landscape, an analytical mind and communication skills to help deepen our presence in a critical market. 🚀
Drive our long term payment infrastructure in North America
- Understand and help other teams understand in detail the existing and planned payments infrastructure in the U.S. and Canada, and frame our payments strategy to provide the best cross-border payments services to our customers in North America.
- Have in-depth knowledge about North America payment systems and how we can achieve a direct connection to them.
- Lead and execute negotiations and regulatory projects for us to have the best and more reliable payment infrastructure in the U.S. and Canada. This might include projects that go beyond our local operations, corporate and regulatory set up in the U.S. and Canada, meaning that the projects will have a global impact and relevance for Wise as a group. You will be leading and driving those.
- Align closely with Government Relations and Legal teams to review and apply deep understanding of current and proposed payments and financial services regulations to support comment letters, participate in payment alliances and trade associations and develop a business case for Wise’s direct participation in North America’s domestic payment rails.
Lead key bank and payment partner relationships for the North America region
- Own key bank and payment partner relationships, collaborating between the partner and internal, cross-functional teams such as Product, Engineering, Platform, Compliance, Payment Operations and Legal.
- Advocate for Wise’s products and compliance goals with banks and payment partners and act as the bank’s advocate within Wise to ensure we are meeting agreed compliance and payment processing requirements. Drive and complete periodic and ongoing due diligences, to make sure bank partners are aware and comfortable with our operations and controls. Work closely with Compliance, Risk and Product teams for this.
- Lead commercial negotiations and business reviews, pitch for Wise’s new products, features and platform innovations.
- Review and improve key metrics to grow Wise’s volume to ensure Wise is receiving the best possible leverage from our partners.
Working with the Product Leads, help define the opportunities and direction for our products in North America
- Work closely with product teams (Product Managers and Product Engineers) to develop our vision and build better products and experiences for our customers. Your contribution will mainly be from the payments infrastructure, regulatory and operational banking partnerships point of view.
- Work with North American and global teams (Product, Operations, Compliance, Finance, Treasury, etc.) to ensure our North American customers and products are at the center of our mission.
Independently execute high priority projects to deepen North America presence
- Leverage financial services and payments infrastructure knowledge to lead priority projects such as onboarding new bank and payment partners, integrating new payment methods, preparing and submitting regulatory licensing applications and completing discovery for new and innovative financial products.
- Independently initiate and execute high priority projects that will deepen Wise’s presence in North America. This includes identifying and communicating internally the potential impact, building conviction from other teams. Consequently, drive and execute the delivery of the project.
A bit about you:
- 10 – 12 years work experience in payments, transaction banking, financial technology, or financial regulator.
- Able to get stuff done, lead major projects and you aren’t afraid to get your hands dirty to deliver what’s needed. We work in autonomous teams, so you’ll need an entrepreneurial and collaborative mindset to thrive. This includes demonstrated ability to align closely with product, engineering, compliance and operations teams with a solid track record of execution.
- Detailed understanding of payments and FX regulation in a changing environment and experience with BSA/AML/KYC and risk controls. Experience with US and Canada financial systems, including banking infrastructure, payment rails, regulatory agencies and payment regulations.
- Familiar with how corporate banks and financial institutions work and their decision makers. You’re excellent at managing those relationships and are constantly creating opportunities to improve them. You are an outstanding negotiator.
- Able to independently negotiate the most ideal terms with a clear product vision and understanding in mind and you can figure out the ideal operational and commercial process with every new partner.
- Feel comfortable making hard decisions and bringing others on board, both with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to structure and independently lead external relationships (e.g., clients, vendors, regulators or other partners) and cross-functional projects, including excellent verbal and written communications, strong analytical and critical thinking skills, and the ability to apply these skills to go-deep on payments/regulatory topics, take thoughtful decisions and then build buy-in for key outcomes and action items with internal and external stakeholders across levels.
- Passion for the financial technology, payments and financial services industries and excited to work in a fast-paced, execution-oriented, entrepreneurial and collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant fields such as Finance, Law, Accounting, Economics, Business Management, Mathematics/Statistics, etc.
Please Note: You must already be legally authorized to work in the US. We cannot support visas for this role. This is a full-time hybrid position physically located in Austin, TX or New York, NY.
- 🚀 RSU’s in a rapidly growing company after a year with us
- 💻 Hybrid working model – A combination of work-from-home and from the office
- ✈️ Wisers can work remotely for 90 days a year. By ‘remote’ we don’t just mean from home, but from wherever in the world you choose to
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🩺 Medical, dental, & vision insurance – including HSA and FSA options
- 💝 Company-paid: Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability, and an EAP program
- ☀️ 25 days PTO, 15 sick days, 11 bank holidays, 5 compassionate leave days, 3 paid “Me” days and a paid volunteer day, annually
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- 👶🏼 18-weeks of paid parental leave, after a year with us
- 💰 401k with up to a 4% employer match
- 🏆 BuiltIn Award winner for Best Places to Work and Best Large Places to Work
Click HERE for more info on our benefits Austin
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
How we work
At Wise, we work differently and we’re proud of it. Here you’ll have bucket loads of freedom, responsibility and autonomy. In practise, this means working in autonomous teams. Working this way helps us move at speed and achieve our mission faster.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
Compensation and stock
At Wise, all our employees have a share in our mission and the responsibility to make our product a success. Our team’s priority is to ensure our compensation packages are competitive, fair and transparent. Stock is one of the ways we share the value of our growth and is a key part of our compensation package. But how does stock work? Find out 👇
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.