Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 15 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one and we’re looking for a talented Backend Engineer to join the mission.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
The team you’ll be working with: Compromised and Abusive Accounts Team
The Compromised Accounts product team’s main responsibility is to prevent the loss of customer assets and associated costs of scams and account takeover fraud. All while minimising the impact on a legitimate customer’s time, money, and effort.
To do this, we build and maintain a suite of controls in the form of user-facing challenges, such as 2FA and scam warnings, a collection of ML models to detect these types of fraud, as well as building and maintaining operational tooling to support our fraud agents when they investigate cases. To do this, the team currently consists of 6 engineers, 3 Data Scientists, an Analyst, Product Manager and has direct support from Design, Research, Operations, and Marketing.
What is the team vision and main challenges?
- The team’s mission is to “prevent the loss of customer assets and associated costs of scams and account takeover fraud while minimising the impact on legitimate customers.”
- Balancing reducing fraud on the platform while minimising the impact on good customers is an interesting challenge. We must minimise losses without stunting the growth of the business.
- As a relatively new team, we have the opportunity to design and implement brand new fraud controls from scratch, driven by our machine learning models.
- Keep the reporting platform scalable and secure using state-of-the-art technology frameworks and patterns.
- Automate manual work as much as possible to improve the efficiency of our operational agents.
What does it take?
- A strong product mindset and a passion for customer experience. You prioritise work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain points.
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation, and designing schemas.
- You enjoy writing testable code and believe in quality test coverage.
- You have 4+ years of Java 8+ knowledge and experience with the Spring framework.
- You believe in and follow best coding practices, code reviews, and open feedback.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and Distributed and Concurrent Systems.
- Hands-on knowledge of system integration patterns.
- Any experience working in Financial Crime or security would be a plus.
What does success look like?
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll understand how our values can help you guide your work
- You’ll understand how accounts get taken over and how victims get scammed
- You’ll be building brand new controls, reducing the financial losses associated with both account takeovers and scams
- Understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product by finding solutions to our technical challenges and opportunities
What do we offer:
- Starting salary: 60,000-80,000GBP + RSU
- Company Restricted Stock Units
- Numerous great benefits in our London office
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Paid sick days, parental leave and other leave opportunities
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave
- The empowerment to solve problems your way
- The freedom to have real impact
- Loads of development opportunities
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.