Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 16 million customers across the globe. We transferred over £100 billion in the Financial Year 2023 alone, and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
Enter: our Analytics Platform team! 🎉
For our customers, using Wise is as simple as sending money from A to B. Yet behind our app and website is a complex engine of currencies, routes, products and features, generating terabytes of data each day. The Data Platform is at the core of systems that store, process and leverage this data, ultimately providing real time decision making capabilities that serve as one of many drivers for business growth.
It is imperative that we need to protect our customers’ money. There are many interesting challenges when it comes to meeting regulatory requirements world-wide. As a Platform Engineer in the wider Platform tribe and Engineering organisation, you will be part of the Analytics Platform team, who builds and runs the custom built services that make data available to the wider org. You will have a focus on running and maintaining the aforementioned analytics services, making sure we have the right observability and service management elements in place, with an eye for high-availability, assessing and reducing engineering load and devising more effective ways for the team to look after its cloud-based platform.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the team
This role has a focus on cloud-based services. The team is currently undergoing a process by which we will offload some of our Python-based services to teams better suited to run it (a process you will likely be a part of) and as the team frees up capacity we will onboard other Platform systems (based on AWS) to better serve the analyst community at Wise. We manage a deployment of PipelineWise (https://transferwise.github.io/pipelinewise/), an initiative which started with this team, as well our Snowflake-based data warehouse governance and the analytics dashboarding tools we have in place. These systems are deployed either on an internally run Kubernetes cluster or run by the team on AWS components, eventually to be ported across to internally maintained solutions.
You will partner with our platform teams to define and make decisions on how to scale Wise, sitting on the pulsing vein of daily product evolution. Our flat organisational structure doesn’t care about titles and hierarchy. You will also have the ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems and you will not settle for downtime and outages.
We recognize that skills can be acquired but ideally you have some of the following:
- Solid experience as an engineer during which you developed skills in technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform.
- Experience running large data systems and production services in the cloud (AWS preferred)
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development.
- Familiarity with GitOps and Airflow is a plus.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (Python preferred)
- A good understanding of relational databases, big data, and stream processing technologies (e.g. Kafka, S3, Flink, Snowflake)
- Mastery of fundamental software engineering practices like good design documentation, unit testing, peer code reviews, and a preference for agile methods
- Communication, presentation, interpersonal and organisational skills to communicate effectively new processes and workflows, and interact with teams from different areas of the organisation
Nice to Have
- Experience with tooling in the Observability space such as Splunk, Grafana (other tools like New Relic, Datadog and Kibana are also taken into consideration).
- Familiarity with deploying and/or managing Analytics tools such as Looker and Superset.
- Experience in building self-service tooling within the organisation that helps engineers, analysts or data scientists do their job more efficiently
- Knowledge/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & highly complex systems
- Be a customer of Wise.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- Scaling our Infrastructure: how we make it work
What do we offer:
- Starting salary: €46,000-€64,000
- Company Restricted Stock Units
- Numerous great benefits in our Tallinn office
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Paid annual holiday, sick days, parental leave and other leave opportunities
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.