Since 2011, Wise has had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
We’re looking for an AML/CTF Compliance Officer – Australia / New Zealand to strengthen our compliance team. Based in Sydney, you will work with a growing team of multidisciplinary specialists (Product, Bank Product, Verification, Financial Crime teams) to help build world class products in Australia and New Zealand. You’ll also manage and strengthen the teams’ relationships with regulators by being AUSTRAC and the New Zealand DIA’s first point of contact, keeping everybody informed and protecting our most valuable asset – our customers.
- Compliance with Australia and New Zealand Financial Crime obligations and the effectiveness of the AML/CTF Compliance Programs for Australia and New Zealand, including assurance activities.
- Oversee the FCC assurance tooling and reporting to the Head of Compliance Pacific Lead, ANZ leadership team, Group team and local and Group boards regarding Pacific’s compliance with fincrime obligations.
- Oversee the maintenance of local policies, procedures and controls, whilst maintaining compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with our regulatory compliance counterparts on horizon scanning.
- Ensure emerging typologies/threats and external process changes are effectively implemented and communicated to the relevant teams and stakeholders.
- Lead engagement with 1LOD FCC & KYC Operations colleagues to ensure oversight of key processes, SLA’s, QA, emerging risks, resource challenges, program changes, incidents and mitigation plans
- Manage financial crime escalations and requests submitted from 1LOD, Product and Partnership teams
- Provide guidance and challenge to 1LOD teams on the development of financial crime controls and new products or features to ensure they are effective and are compliant with local laws and regulations
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to collaborate and contribute to quarterly and annual objectives
- Engage with our regulators, bank partners and law enforcement to demonstrate, and defend, Wise’s FCC Program
- Lead various compliance related projects and tasks as required.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of Wise’s business and get to know many teams across the company as you liaise with them to help them understand the regulatory framework and bring together the information that our regulators need.
- Help keep compliance right at the heart of our product developments and new initiatives by horizon-scanning for new regulatory developments and sharing these with the teams.
A bit about you:
If you have a background in payments or other financial crime regulation, great communication and organisational skills, tons of motivation, then this role could be perfect for you!
- Theory. You are an expert in AML/CTF compliance and may be currently working, have worked, or work directly with AUSTRAC, an FIU or in the area of financial crime.
- Practice. You have demonstrable experience designing and challenging processes, ideally across multiple products. You have thought deeply about the Wise mission and how it intersects with compliance.
- Passion. You get a kick out of improving current practices and processes and can apply different compliance strategies to develop multiple compliance frameworks.
- Get the job done. You have a sense of urgency and an ability to work well under pressure, prioritising, taking responsibility and working to tight deadlines.
- Detail. You have meticulous attention to detail and if you’ve skimmed through without reading this bullet point, I’m sure a bank would love to have you. Please add the secret word “convenient” into the cover letter uploaded to your application.
- Development. You’ve considered the challenges and development opportunities of working at a fast growing scale-up and are looking to get into FinTech or payments compliance. Here’s a taster of what it’s like working at Wise.
- Location. Singapore, Melbourne or Sydney. You’ll be ready to travel to meet your objectives, as a guideline roughly one to three times a year, subject to regulations.
What we offer in return:
- Competitive base salary
- Generous stock options package
- Lots of awesome Wise benefits
- Flexible working – whether it’s working from home, school plays or life admin we get that flexibility is essential and you’re trusted to do the right thing and be responsible
- Paid annual holiday, sick days, parental leave and other leave opportunities
- 6 weeks of paid sabbatical after 4 years at Wise on top of annual leave
‘In the spirit of reconciliation, Wise acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples today.’
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.