Engineering Manager – North America Money Movement
Salary: $210,000-280,000 USD per annum + RSU + Benefits
Wise, one of the world’s fastest-growing companies, is on a mission to redefine global finance by making money without borders the new norm. With 16 million customers worldwide, we are expanding rapidly, evidenced by a remarkable 145% increase in North American revenue from 2021 to 2023.
About Wise: Current banking systems present challenges in seamlessly sending, spending, and receiving money across borders. At Wise, we are crafting a new financial infrastructure to address these limitations. As a pioneer in innovative money transfer solutions, our platform also provides true multi-currency banking, allowing customers to manage their funds efficiently.
Position Overview: We are seeking an experienced Engineering Manager based in our Austin office, offering a flexible combination of in-office and remote work. As an integral part of our mission, you will lead a team dedicated to optimizing money movement between customers, banking partners, and Wise, leveraging the power of APIs.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the North America Team:
- You’ll integrate Wise with the best banks in North America to power our money movement engine
- You’ll build an infrastructure that enables Wise to send/receive money instantly in North America
- You’ll multiply Wise’s growth rate by unlocking core functionality through the power of APIs and cross-border payments infrastructure – in short, the products you build will help Wise reach consumers and small businesses wherever they are managing their money in global environments.
- You’ll lead, coach and grow a team locally in North America, as well as shape the technical vision in the Money Movement domain.
- You’ll scale a best in class product across the US and Canada while ensuring the learnings you have in-market are shared back with our other global regions and you are building a global API platform that truly works across borders.
What does it take?
- Working with other Wise leaders globally to achieve our Mission: Money without borders.
- Building a championship team. Fostering an environment of autonomy where everyone is encouraged to identify and prioritize customer problems and opportunities.
- Helping your team make data-driven decisions by providing feedback on architecture and approach.
- Raise the bar for the team to reach new heights of technical excellence.
Is that you?
- You want to work for a company you where believe in its mission
- You’re passionate about building high quality products, working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- You have experience in leading, hiring, coaching and mentoring driven individuals
- You’re enabling your team to solve complex problems by breaking them down into small iterative steps of incremental value
- You’ve built and designed scalable and performing systems
- You have experience building integrations with external partners
- You have experience with microservices architecture, asynchronous message queues and SQL databases
- You are still hands on with coding, and enjoy getting your hands dirty
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have:
- You’ve worked with Java/Kotlin, preferably with Spring Boot
- Experience with financial file formats (ISO 20022, NACHA, FEDWIRE, SWIFT) is a big plus!
What does success look like?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product has on their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class global banking product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact – the part of the product you’ll build is key to Wise reaching future millions of customers and redefining how payments work internationally at scale
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- The opportunity to work with super smart people
- 🚀 RSU’s in a rapidly growing company
- 💻 Hybrid working – up to 3 days/week working from home, the other 2 days in the office
- ✈️ Wisers can work remotely for 90 days a year. By ‘remote’ we don’t just mean from home, but from wherever in the world you choose to
- 💪 An annual self-development budget
- 🩺 Medical, dental, & vision insurance – including HSA and FSA options
- 💝 Company-paid: Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability, and an EAP program
- ☀️ 25 days PTO, 15 sick days, 11 holidays, 5 compassionate leave days, 3 paid “Me” days and a paid volunteer day, annually
- 🏝️ A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- 👶🏼 18-weeks of paid parental leave, after a year with us
- 💰 401k with up to a 4% employer match
- ⭐️ Here’s more info on our benefits in Austin
Interested? Find out more:
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thoughts, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.