Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got over 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that’s scalable, reliable and secure. We’re working on lots of exciting challenges, and you’ll dive right into projects helping consumers and businesses receive and send money from anywhere in the world.
The team you’ll be working with: Account Experience team
The Account Squad aims to build the world’s most international account, saving customers time and money wherever they live, so they can spend and send like a local, wherever they may be in the world. Account experience is a large multi-platform team which sits within the squad and is responsible for making sure using Wise is easy and delightful. Our primary focus is the homepage that customers see when they are logged in. Today it provides an overview of their holdings and activities. Tomorrow it should be tailored to each customer based on their usage of the product. It should make it easy to perform their most important tasks, while suggesting features that may help them get more out of their wise account.
The team also maintains some core infrastructure of the account, such as:
- The backend service decides what is shown on the logged in homescreen.
- The backend infrastructure storing the history of all activities done by a customer
- The backend infrastructure powering notifications and email sending
- Given the above, we also act as a sort of “product platform” team – we enable other teams to communicate effectively with customers and to level up their experiences.
Team vision and main challenges:
- Tailor the home screen to make it more relevant and convenient.
- Improve the quality of existing experiences and products, bringing the different ways to use Wise into a cohesive whole.
- Develop features to view and summarise your account usage as a customer – showing customers how much they’ve earned in returns and as income, how much they’ve transferred, spent (as well as where) and importantly how much they have saved, to demonstrate the value of Wise.
What does it take?
- A strong product mindset and passion for user experience, you prioritize work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Ability to work independently while also being a good team player. Your work will frequently involve cross-team collaboration.
- Ability to break down complex projects into incremental milestones that deliver customer value
- Experience in developing web applications and distributed systems in a production environment
- Experience with common design and architectural patterns coupled with a passion for writing clean code that is performant and well tested
- Curiosity and drive for continuous learning and improvement
- Following and advocating best coding practices, continuous delivery and code reviews
- Experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation and designing schemas is a plus
- Knowledge of Java and Spring boot and experience with a messaging system, like Kafka, is a plus
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
What does success look like?
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- You’ll understand how our values can help you guide your work
- You’ll understand the reasons behind problematic payments and customer difficulties and how to go about solving them
- You’ll be raising the automation level to enable scaling of the product
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class global banking product by finding solutions to our technical challenges and opportunities
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We’re proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer’s needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it’s like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply. So we’re building a new one. We’ve come a long way, but we’re only just getting started.
There are many ways in which you can progress at Wise, but we’re all encouraged to drive our own development and to grab the right opportunities. What you can accomplish here isn’t set by your job title or your previous experience. Read more about it from our employees 👇
Yes, you’ll get the usual stuff like a laptop, holidays and a salary but we don’t just want to sell you a list of benefits. We’d like to explain a bit more about why we offer what we do. Read on to find out more.