Last Updated: 27 January 2022
Wise uses small files (known as cookies) to see how you use our site. We put them on your computer when you visit our site, and use them to recognise you and store information in between visits.
- Strictly necessary cookies. We need these cookies to run our website — they let us save your cookie preferences, and keep the site secure. They’re always on.
- Cookies that give you a better browsing experience. These let us tailor the site to your needs, like displaying it in the same language as your web browser. We’ll sometimes refer to them as functionality cookies.
- Cookies that help us improve our website. These let us use tools that show us how you interact with our website. They help us find and fix problems for our customers, and they’re also known as analytical or performance cookies.
- Cookies that keep our marketing costs down. These improve our marketing — helping us to spend less on sites like Google and Facebook, and more on charging as little as we can. When our costs go down, so do our prices. We share this information in aggregate form with third parties, for the purpose of advertising.
You can see each cookie we use and our reasons for using them below.
|Technology||Purpose||Lifespan||Third Parties||Privacy information|
|STRICTLY NECESSARY COOKIES|
|twCookieConsent||Essential for letting us remember your choice of cookie consent.||90 days||No third parties involved|
|twCookieConsentGTM||Essential for letting us remember your choice of cookie consent.||90 days||No third parties involved|
|COOKIES THAT HELP US IMPROVE OUR WEBSITE|
|_hjIncludedInPageviewSample||Used to let Hotjar know if that visitor is included in the data sampling defined by our site’s pageview limit.||30 minutes||Hotjar||https://www.hotjar.com/legal/policies/privacy|
|_hjIncludedInSessionSample||Used to let Hotjar know whether that visitor is included in the sample, which lets us generate funnels.||30 minutes|
|_hjSessionUser_*||Used to persist a Hotjar user ID.||1 year|
|_hjSession_*||Used to ensure subsequent requests within the session are attributed to the same Hotjar session.||30 minutes|
|_hjFirstSeen||Identifies a new user’s first session.||30 minutes|
|_hjAbsoluteSessionInProgress||Detects the first pageview session of a user.||30 minutes|
|_gid||Used to store information on how visitors use our website and helps in creating an analytics report of how the website is doing. The data includes the number of visitors, where they came from, and the pages visited in an anonymous form.||24 hours||Google Analytics||https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245|
|_ga||Used to calculate visitor, session, campaign data and keep track of site usage for the site’s analytics report. It stores information anonymously and assigns a randomly-generated number to identify unique visitors.||2 years|
|_gat_UA-156319918-1||Installed by Google Universal Analytics to throttle the request rate to limit the collection of data on high traffic sites.||1 minute|
|COOKIES THAT KEEP OUR MARKETING COSTS DOWN|
|_rdt_uuid||Identifies users who’ve seen the ads of Wise on Reddit so that we can run our ads more efficiently.||6 months||https://www.redditinc.com/policies/privacy-policy-september-12-2021|
|_fbp||Used by Facebook to obtain encrypted data about visitors and users of our website for the purposes of measuring advertising effectiveness, showing relevant advertising to certain groups of users and excluding other groups of users from seeing irrelevant advertising.||3 months||https://en-gb.facebook.com/policy.php|
|_gcl_au||Used to link Google advertisements to conversions made on our site. This cookie is also used by Google AdSense for experimenting with advertising efficiency across websites using their service.||3 months||Google Adsense|
|Facebook Integrations||We use the Facebook button on our website in order to link users to our Facebook profile. We may use Facebook’s advertising services. In providing these services Facebook may collect certain information about our website visitors.||https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-pixel/implementation/gdpr/|
|Youtube Integrations||We use Youtube to embed videos on our website. In providing this service Google may collect certain information about our website visitors.||Youtube||https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en&gl=uk|
|Instagram Integrations||We use the Instagram button on our website in order to link users to our Instagram profile.
Instagram may collect certain information about our website visitors.
|LinkedIn Integrations||We use the LinkedIn button on our website in order to link users to our LinkedIn profile.
LinkedIn may collect certain information about our website visitors.
|Glassdoor Integrations||We use the Glassdoor button on our website in order to link users to our Glassdoor profile.
Glassdoor may collect certain information about our website visitors.
|Twitter integrations||We use the Twitter button on our website in order to link users to our Twitter profile.
Twitter may collect certain information about our website visitors.
|Google AdWords||We may use Google’s advertising services which may include remarketing, re-engagement or similar audience features in Google Ads that would allow us to reach people who previously visited our website, and match the right people with the right message. Google may display ads about our website or our services when you are browsing other websites. In providing these services Google may collect certain information about our website visitors.||https://policies.google.com/privacy|
How to block cookies
You can choose to block cookies by activating the settings on your browser that allow you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access parts of the website. Your browser settings also allow you to delete all cookies stored on your device whenever you wish.
How to control cookies
The UK Information Commissioner’s Office has provided the following guidance on controlling cookies:
- A number of websites provide detailed information on cookies, including AboutCookies.org and AllAboutCookies.org.
- The European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance website. Your Online Choices allows you to install opt-out cookies across different advertising networks.
- Google has developed a browser add-on to allow users to opt-out of Google Analytics across all websites which use it. This is also available in the Chrome web store.
- Some browsers include a feature known as ‘Do Not Track’ or DNT. This allows you to indicate a preference that websites should not track you. However, whilst DNT is available in many browsers, websites are not required to recognise its request, so it may not always work. You can get help on how to use DNT in Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera.
- For more information on how private browsing works as well as its limitations, visit the support pages for your browser:Microsoft Edge,Microsoft Internet Explorer,Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari (IOS (mobile) and desktop) and Opera.
If you are concerned about online tracking then we can recommend you:
- Install a privacy-friendly browser on your device, such as Mozilla Firefox, Firefox Focus or Brave;
- Install anti-tracking and ad-blocking plug-ins on that browser, such as Ad Block Plus, Ghostery or PrivacyBadger; and
- Use privacy-friendly web search engines, such as DuckDuckGo or Quant.
If you have any questions about the cookies or similar technologies in use on our website, please send an email to [email protected]